Friday, March 30, 2012

The Hunger Games: A Review



As the American Summer draws closer, we begin to enter what, in the "biz", is known as BLOCKBUSTER SEASON!

Well, probably not - but it sounds exciting.

Traditionally, the most anticipated films are scheduled for release in the American Spring and Summer - as obviously the entire world revolves around the US. I personally like that they all come out in the Australian Winter, because in all honesty, it's fucking hot 12 months a year where I live.

That being said, I am assuming that my blogs will become more frequent now that Blockbuster Season is almost upon us...depending on finances. UNLESS PEOPLE WANT TO PAY ME TO REVIEW *wink wink*

Anyway, on with the show.

The Hunger Games, based on a book trilogy of the same name (which I have not read - I find it best to see these movies before I read the books, that way I'm not disappointed and cranky when I see the film), is set in what I can only assume is some sort of post-apocalyptic society that consists of 12 poorer "Districts" and the uber-rich Capitol. Every year, a male and female are chosen to represent each District in a televised battle to the death to appease...something. I couldn't quite work it out, and didn't want to cheat and use Wikipedia. It's some form of ritualistic sacrifice from what I could gather. Anyway, main characters are chosen, a full hour is used on "Character Development", battle begins, shit gets real...fin. That's it in a nutshell.

Jennifer Lawrence gives an OK performance as protagonist Katniss Everdeen (last seen as Raven/Mystique in X-Men: First Class). She at least speaks clearly and doesn't assume that mumbling, crossing her eyes, biting her lip and being pretty are enough to carry her through this film. There are a few really good moments where she really hits her stride and is believable, but there are also many where she seems wooden and bored. The kid that played Bucky in Kicking and Screaming also puts in a solid performance, as well as Lenny Kravitz, Woody Harrelson and Elizabeth Banks. It was a pretty movie to watch - a lot of thought obviously went into the Capitol, battlefield etc. However, the fight scenes, oh my god! The fight scenes! This is, I assume, a fairly violent and at times graphic book aimed at young adults. I understand that it is not always young adults that read these - especially now that Raging Shit Twilight has taken off, but don't sacrifice a key part of the story for a PG-13 rating and a few extra tickets! The fight scenes were TERRIBLE. Very shaky, constantly out of focus and always cutting around the place - I found it confusing, annoying and difficult to watch. The only other thing I found irritating is that it is a long film (over 2 hours) and there is still not enough character development for someone that is unaware of the book series.

At the end of the day, the film is OK. Not above average, but certainly not below. The cast put in solid performances, the story is written well enough that I could understand the key elements, and aside from the fight scenes, is shot pretty well. I'm definitely going to read the books at the very least.

It's a good warm up for what is to come this season anyway! 2.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment